Finding a Volunteer

My father passed away and my mother lives with me now.  What I would like to find is a volunteer who comes just to visit with the elderly.  She gets tired of talking to just me.  Who do I contact there was someone who called me before on this but cannot remember who or find her number. Do you have any ideas?

Rose in Oregon, 52

Dear Rose,

I am so grateful that you are addressing the question of loneliness for your mother. Whatever our circumstances are, we all need and appreciate company and companionship. If your mother was ever involved with a religious organization, a club, a society, the VFW, the Elks, or a union, they very often have a visiting committee as part of their community outreach.  This includes visiting the sick, the shut-in, the elderly, and others in need of a visit.

If your mother is suffering from a particular disease or illness, most have a national organization with state and local chapters.  These organizations sometimes have a variety of support services that both you and your mother can utilize. Also the State Agency on Aging or the Department of Aging has information regarding what can be found on the local and community level.  If you cannot get someone to visit, take your mother out to community events or the local senior citizen or recreational center when possible.

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)

Rate This

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)


caregiver training certificate Home health aide certificate

In The News


caregiver blog

Subscribe to Receive Monthly
Eldercare Tips & Updates!